bittah.com!~ [Movie] Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:03 pm

[Movie] Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

[One-Liner]
- Enjoyable phase 2 movie that brings together some of the threads from other movies, but also sets up future movies quite nicely

[Plot]
- Peter Quill (aka Star-Lord) is "abducted" from Earth following the death of his mother and becomes a space pirate with a group of Ravagers
- After a failed heist to steal "an Orb", we are introduced to Thanos (again) and Ronan who has wishes to destroy Nova Corp as revenge
- Ronan sends an assassin (Gamora, Thanos' adopted daughter) to intercept and retrieve the Orb for him
- Gamora and the Star-Lord fight each other at the Nova Corp homeworld (where Star-Lord is trying to offload the Orb) but both parties are arrested, along with Rocket and Groot who have got involved to try and collect Star-Lord's bounty
- While in prison, they come into contact with Drax who wishes to kill Gamora (since Ronan had previously killed his family), but the group bands together to get out of the prison together
- And so the Guardians are formed, but not quite a solid unit yet
- They travel to Knowhere (a lawless rock made from the severed head of a giant Celestial) where they meet with the Collector
- The Collector identifies the Orb as a holding vessel for an(other) Infinity Stone which have made appearances in the other films too
- One of the Collector's minions touches the Stone, and the resulting blast kills her and almost the Guardians too
- Meanwhile, Ronan has arrived at Knowhere (after being intentionally led there by Drax seeking revenge) and after easily defeating Drax leaves with the Orb
- Ronan then utilises the Infinity Stone to become even more powerful, and contacts Thanos to let him know that he no longer needs his help and threatens to kill him
- Armed with the Infinity Stone, Ronan travels to Nova Corp hellbent on fulfilling his revenge
- The Guardians must now group up on Nova Corp to prevent Ronan from doing so

[Pros]
- Loved the nostalgic music in this movie, really added to the atmosphere
- Great use of 3D (finally)
- Even though there were several characters there was enough of a teaser given in their backstory to explain who they were / where they were going (hopefully to be fleshed out more in the next phase)
- Star-Lord came across like Malcolm Reynolds... which was a good direction
- Post-credits spoiler was interesting
Spoiler: Show
even though Howard the Duck looked weird, they had Cosmo the Dog there? In addition to Knowhere? A possible addition for a future film?
[Cons]
- Opening scene / dance was fucking stupid... had me cringing from the start which wasn't a good thing
- Humour was hit and miss for me, some of the lines were great, but others were a bit cringe
- Star-Lord being half-alien was handled rather clunkily imo
"Oh so THAT'S why you were able to touch the infinity stones without being destroyed...
- Not sure about some of the character arcs... like
Star-Lord and Gamora hooking up, and Rocket all of a sudden getting all teary as the ship is about to crash? Seemed to come out of nowhere.
[Rating]
I really thought this movie was going to suck based on the trailer, fortunately that wasn't the case but it wasn't mind-bogglingly amazing either, 3.5 KFC buckets out of 5
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 pm

I tend to disagree with some of the comments (in my opinion) but then I had read some GOTG comics before so I expected a bit of whackyness. I loved the start with the dancing it set the tone for the movie imo which pretty much kept that vibe right through. it put a smile on my face and then kept me in that light hearted zone for the whole film.

The casting was fantastic as well imo. Chris Pratt as Quill was fantastic, after seeing it I cannot think of anyone else who could have done it any better, top job. Dave Bautista would have been the weakest link but was still pretty good, and had his share of lol jokes.

It had some absolutely awesome one liners in this movie. Nearly all the jokes were solidly funny as never felt forced for the sake of jamming a joke in imo. I really dug its more comedic and quirky style over the previous Marvel films, I have enjoyed all the marvel films but this one was all round great and a felt fresh due to it being so different and such a diff galaxy that they could just go nuts.

The sound track was pure awesome.

I would rate it as the best Marvel movie to date probably tied with Ironman 1 for me.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:15 pm

See, part of the problem for me wasn't so much it being wacky. That's fine, and I did actually enjoy the plot / characters for the most part. Even Drax (who seems to have polarised fans).

However, after watching the trailer I'd found it a bit lame in parts. "Oops... I didn't know how that worked" etc etc.

And the opening scene didn't do much to convince me otherwise from the start. Fortunately, like I said, it was actually a rather enjoyable movie. It just never shook off the lame from the trailer for me though.

And the Galaxy isn't that different to be honest? They incorporated key elements from the other movies to keep it relevant.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 pm

- Opening scene / dance was fucking stupid... had me cringing from the start which wasn't a good thing
heh, i thought it set the tone perfectly and was a brilliant contrast to the abandoned planet/scary red eyes/high tech world in the lead up. that simple scene tells you so much about the character and gave it a real hitchhikers guide vibe instantly - this is an accessible universe whose honeymoon period ended a long time ago. (Eg: kicking the wildlife and using them as microphones during the song instead of "omg new species, how wonderous")
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Yes, it got some good reactions in the cinema I was in too. I was just a bit:

KFC

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Just saw this and yeah i agree with some of the comments above about disagreeing with some of the comments in the review (if that fucking makes sense, lawks).

I also thought the dancing in the intro was perfect, and it cracked me up him using the little alien things as a mic. It perfectly set the scene for that lovable rogue type character, where the music element ran all the way through it. Some particular highlights was his discussion with the chick talking about Kevin Bacon, and her reference of it later, and a pisser when he's dancing at the end in front of the bad guy - you're thinking wtf irl, but it all just tied it in perfectly.

There were a few moments only that were a bit jarring - like the Racoon lamenting that he was being called a rodent or what not, where earlier he didnt even know what a Racoon was apparently. The big muscular guy was mostly good, but sometimes felt a bit forced. Rocket was a surprise, consistently piss funny throughout, and i was a big fan of Groot - as a character, he achieved so much I thought with so little - expertly handled.

Overall, i think this movie put more weight on the characters themselves and having fun with them, than an overly intricate plot. The effects were mad, the comedy was genuine, with some serious laugh out loud moments, and all in all i would have to agree that it's one of marvels strongest to date, if not the strongest. One of the things i loved about the Avengers movie was the same as this one - it's strength was the characters and their interactions together. To me, in that movie, they felt more like their superhero characters than any previous movie. This movie was the same, in that, the interactions between the characters were light-hearted and playful, and ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING LACKING FROM TRANSFORMERS 1,2,3,4. Fuck off Monk in advance
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:56 pm

ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING LACKING FROM TRANSFORMERS 1,2,3,4. f**k off Monk in advance
lol I haven't seen GOTG yet, but if you really liked the Avengers that much, then, um...
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:12 pm

I enjoyed Avengers, I'm not saying it deserved any rewards or what not, but it was enjoyable.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:23 pm

This film is great.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:16 pm

Watching tonight, will provide feedback.

The only thing I have seen is the trailer and kfc's hate so we'll see how it is.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:56 pm

:yellow_laugh:

I didn't hate anything about the movie. I just didn't like certain elements that's all.

See what you think.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:52 pm

*spoilers*
watched it last night, i enjoyed it. for the genre that its in, it couldnt be much better. loved the sitcom style banter between the characters. the plot was complete nonsense but it knew it, one of the characters points out the macguffin style plot. only thing is some of the "emotional" moments were just not built up at all. Like Tree Man sacrificing himself, and Hero Guy falling in love with Green Girl, these were treated as emotional oh-god-i'm-tearing-up-at-all-the-feels moments, but there was absolutely no emotional groundwork laid to them at all, they just came out of nowhere and were hollow. I have _absolutely_ no idea why we were supposed to believe that the womanising Hero Guy fell in love with Green Girl. And given the film poking fun at other tropes ("We're all standing up; Here we are all standing in a circle") it would have been fine if the film poked fun at itself for those moments but it didn't seem to at all.
Also my friend built spaceships for this film.
Shakey-Lo
It's not Down Syndrome .... honest!

[ignore]

Post » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:31 pm

*spoilers*
watched it last night, i enjoyed it. for the genre that its in, it couldnt be much better. loved the sitcom style banter between the characters. the plot was complete nonsense but it knew it, one of the characters points out the macguffin style plot. only thing is some of the "emotional" moments were just not built up at all. Like Tree Man sacrificing himself, and Hero Guy falling in love with Green Girl, these were treated as emotional oh-god-i'm-tearing-up-at-all-the-feels moments, but there was absolutely no emotional groundwork laid to them at all, they just came out of nowhere and were hollow. I have _absolutely_ no idea why we were supposed to believe that the womanising Hero Guy fell in love with Green Girl. And given the film poking fun at other tropes ("We're all standing up; Here we are all standing in a circle") it would have been fine if the film poked fun at itself for those moments but it didn't seem to at all.
woah spoiler tags pls. Hard to avoid reading this if I want to read anyone elses opinion.
PeTtY
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:05 am

Was good. Overrated a bit though (expected more which is always a shame). Also felt the same as Shakey about certain scenes, was almost jarring to have them in there.

Also found the very opening scene (before the dance thingo) to be jarring and too much.

Overall, enjoyed the movie - didn't try to over explain shit, humour was well placed and it was a good watch.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:35 am

The action scenes were great, maybe one too many snarling raccoons flying towards the screen whilst piloting a space ship, but hey, if I had the opportunity to do that as a director I'd take it. Two or three times.

I got the same kind of enjoyment from watching the action scenes as I did with the peak of The Avengers, just watching chaotic sequences with a few buddies owning up among the craziness is just a certain sort of satisfying.
I enjoyed the goofy intro and felt it set the tone pretty much perfectly, the rodent for a mic thing was entertaining, watching him just kicking around some ancient ruin with his tunes jamming, ignoring the perils (specifically that crevasse with a whole bunch of nasties in it) was super fun while portraying a shit load about the character and a bit of a whiff of the setting.

Hero Guy digs Green Girl cause she beat him up when they met, all the others were just dopey lays. And what did she call his pick up moves? Pelvis sorcery?

The brief but pretty damn well executed FPS sequence when Drax tosses Rocket a weapon during the break out scene was choice.

Piloting the enemy fighter using the mining pod was pretty sweet too.

Motivation speech was pretty bland but basically a necessary evil/trope, which got the piss taken out of itself appropriately.

Tree man sacrifice was obvious the second he started doing the grow branches things, wasn't particularly built up at all but I felt it worked since he was just doing his thing without a song and dance until the audience caught on. And dat goofy smile after he owns the hall way full of baddies (tho that scene could have been a couple seconds shorter), definitely the right kind of cheese.

My favorite line in the film was Hero Guys "[sigh]Finally!" when Necro-captain-dude calls him Star Lord. And the prosthetic leg gag, fucking aye, Rocket was ace as fuck.
That's fucking awesome, is he in the credits? Because I was really, really chuffed when the credits for the VFX people rolled and it was just this epic block of names, so many names, then the additional companies rolled, one after another, it seemed like they put every single person who worked on them in there. So I hope he is, cause that would be a buzz kill if he isn't.

Required (and pretty damn good):
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Except the action sequences in The Avengers were completely flat and boring? Joss Whedon may be the geek's lovechild when it comes to "GR8 WRITING 'N DIALOGUE!!1" but he sucks some major testes at actually filming an action sequence -- or even a talking sequence -- well. Let's take a look:

Every single bit of the movie is shot like this, even the main action sequences in New York. There is absolutely no visual story-telling beyond the, essentially, exposition. In these scenes of conversation between characters who are having disagreements, we are not told, visually, where each one stands, who's aligned with who, or who has more power. The only shot where there is even a modicum of this is when they are all surrounding The Hulk / Brucie, but even then, the cinematic language is blunt and boring. There are probably a thousand more interesting ways to film that particular scene than a slightly elevated shot where we see the backs (???) of everybody looking at Brucie. The angle is not even elevated enough to express an opinion.

Or look at the standoff between Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. Now, imagine Tarantino directing that sequence... or Bay... or even Peter fucking Berg. Imagine Cameron filming the scene where Brucie is holding the scepter, or Iron Man and Thor's final fight with Loki on top of Stark Tower (just think about True Lies here. Seriously, think about it. What The Avengers action sequences could have been).

The Avengers was a 2-hour long television episode. Each shot has absolutely no depth to it, when there is so much potential for storytelling via cinematic language. In fact, the best scene in The Avengers, from a cinematographic point of view, is when Black Widow is trapped with the Hulk in that area below decks, and only because it is entirely metaphorical.

It's clear that Whedon has no idea how to use the camera, and his movies suffer for it. So when I read shit like "great dialogue" I can kind of see it. Yeah, funny-if-banal banter, nice to see the ironic fan service, etc. But when I read shit like "great action sequences"... that's a real headscratcher. The Avengers didn't have "good writing" either, if you factor in the kind of shitty politics it not just adopted, but endorsed.

Also, The Avengers is easily the worst of the MCU super-hero movies, with Cap 2 being the second worst because it totally sold out. Cap 1 is the best MCU movie.

God, I really hope GOTG isn't anything like The Avengers. Also, this post turned into a bit of a rant!
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:48 am

That's fucking awesome, is he in the credits?
Yes
Shakey-Lo

[ignore]