bittah.com!~ [Movie] Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:07 pm

[Movie] Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

[One-Liner]
- Will Fear and Hate conquer Trust and Love?

[Plot]
- Following on from the previous movie, the human race has been massively thinned out by "simian flu" and now only a few pockets of humans (might) have survived
- The movie actually opens by introducing the apes, who have established their own home in a forest and have a well-established heirarchy with Caesar and his family firmly at the top, with a second-in-command Koba who hates humans for what they have done to him in captivity
- They are beginning to learn English and starting to speak
- While out hunting, Caesar's son and a friend (Ash) encounter a human (Carver) who shoots Ash (not killing him though)
- The small gang of humans who are with this person (including Malcolm and his son) rally around him, and a standoff occurs with Caesar and the apes barking for them to leave (before they get killed)
- Back at the human camp, we find out the humans there (led by Dreyfus) are running out of power, and they need to restart the hydroelectric plant near the ape camp in order to survive
- Caesar and the gang show up to warn the humans to stay away from their home in order to keep the peace
- Therefore since they have now been effectively shut out of the area the humans now face a tough choice
- Malcolm and a small group go to the ape camp to plead with them to get access to the plant before the rest of the humans arrive with guns to take the plant by force
- The movie then turns into a bit of a battle between Koba / Dreyfus vs Caesar / Malcolm over who trusts who the least / most
- With a bit of feels between Malcolm / son / Ellie and Caesar / son thrown in for good measure
- Will there be war?

[Pros]
- Apes are really well done. Andy Serkis might piss off animators but he sells the character of Caesar. He (and the other actors) really give the apes their own demeanor.
- Action scenes are quite entertaining

[Cons]
- 3D is pointless
- How did Malcolm know Caesar's name initially? I don't recall it being said to him beforehand... minor gripe in the scheme of things...
- By the end of the movie
Spoiler: Show
the apes are to blame for the war starting... I haven't watched the originals in a while... but isn't that quite a large change? Weren't the humans the cause of the problem there too? Need to watch them again
- There's a "scene" after the credits but it's pretty dumb imo...
you can hear what sounds like an ape gasping for air... possibly Koba... meh
[Rating]
4 KFC buckets out of 5
Last edited by KFC on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Seeing this tonight, will read your review after then. Really pumped to see this, watched the first one on TV last week and it was surprisingly good IMO. Forgot I was looking at animated monkeys after a while.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is definitely an underrated film. From the trailers, it's looking like Dawn could do the sequel rarity of actually surpassing it.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm not sure why people like these movies. I saw the first one and spent the entire time trying not to laugh at how ridiculous the entire concept is. I rated it 2/5. I haven't seen this one mind you, but I would expect no better.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:28 pm

What about the concept is ridiculous?

Have you seen the original movie(s)?
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Saw this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Considering what the subject matter was - ie a whole fuckload of monkeys, it's kind of amazing that the story can engage you, considering you're watching monkey drama.

The animation of the monkeys themselves is unbelievably good. So good that you forget they're not real. Special mention to the Orangutans and gorillas. There was one moment when the guy came back to their monkey town and a gorilla emerges behind him, then he's surrounded by gorillas, and I'm thinking, holy FUCK could you imagine how shit scary that'd be if it was real?

All up, it was a surprisingly human story as applied to apes. There were some surprisingly good relationships going through it, such as father/son, husband/wife, father/baby etc - but most of it felt like you'd seen it before - just in humans.

Was also refreshing to have what is essentially an apocalyptic style movie, but not with zombies or aliens. It's about as believable a way of creating a world dominated by apes as you could possibly get.

I loved the originals when I was younger, and quite enjoyed the first movie which I watched on tv the other week. This was a terrific sequel.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:21 am

Glad you liked it, agree with what you said.

What did you think of the ending?

I'm still in two minds.
It seems a bit of a copout that the apes have now been blamed for any death / destruction, whereas:
was anger at humanity for destroying the Earth.

Hmmm, will see how the next one goes.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 pm

How cute is koba when he acts like a playful dumb monkey <3 I wanna eat him so cute
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Yeah that was quite funny.
Second time not so much... :duelsamurai:
The movie in general had a couple of quite dark little scenes in it. Mainly involving Koba tbh...
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Which ending do you mean? I didnt stick around to see the scene after the credits - i'll have to look that up.

I cant say i feel really one way or another about whether it was caused by the apes or the humans - the conflict between them. I cant remember the movies clearly enough that i remember their specific plots. I only remember the Apes were basically in control, and it was only certain characters such as that Doctor, who were sympathetic to the humans.

With ceasar still in control though, if there's a third movie, he'll have to be either dealt with by a rival (likely Koba if what you said about the final scene was true), or will have to be turned against the humans - both of which basically happened in this movie - and were both resolved in this movie. If they do it a third time, it'll be repetitious to the max.

I suspect the third movie will be closer to the originals - likely far ahead in the future, and it might show a changing of the apes to becoming dominators. In the movie when they had them in cages, and were riding around on horseback etc - that really felt like the originals IMO.

I like how they've taken a massive group of monkeys though, and they're not just mindless monsters. When you look at them - like in that train station area around the stairs - they have fucking personalities! You can see the emotions different expressions in their faces. It's bloody amazing they can do that. When they're all moving in numbers etc, it was so utterly convincing.

Funnily enough, there were many times that they reminded me of Warhammer 40k Orks - particularly Koba, who if you'd painted him green, would have been an Ork. I also thought the language side of things was handled brilliantly. Some of the things they were conveying in signs was a bit...um he got all that from that simple gesture? But the combination of that, and the increasing levels of speech - it was just handled with superb attention and care IMO.

Really amazing movie when you look at it beyond a monkey action flick. Andy Serkis is in a bloody good place these days - like pioneer of mo-capped performances and unique in that regard.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 pm

No I wasn't talking about the Stinger after the credits... more the direction they've decided to take the franchise.

Sure, this is a reboot / prequel and things don't exactly have to line up with the originals, I just felt it was a bit contrived that's all.

Will see how it resolves in the next one.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is definitely an underrated film. From the trailers, it's looking like Dawn could do the sequel rarity of actually surpassing it.
I thought the first one was very well done, but unpleasant. I don't think I experienced a single positive emotion during the whole film. It was like looking at the world through the eyes of a depressed teenager (which I used to be ha!).

I'm assuming this new one will outdo the first one, i.e. better done, and more unpleasant.
dumbo
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm assuming this new one will outdo the first one, i.e. better done, and more unpleasant.
It's different though - but it's great. It still has that - human element to the apes. I particularly like how the movie started with the apes, in their colony, seeing their day to day lives. It's a crazy thought that they can convey it so well, but they so can.

And special shoutout again to those Orangutans - holy crap they look and sound amazing.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Came for the overthought Monk comments, left disappointed.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Saw this yesterday. I think the standout scene is obviously when they get the power back on, and the hydroplant team is listening to The Weight and celebrating... at a gas station.

Gas is code for exploitation. The old way of life.

This was a grim movie.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 pm

:roll:
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:50 pm

Why the roll-eyes? The gas station was a choice. It could have been anything. This is a movie about the fall of humanity, is literally *about* resources (power, firepower), and mistrust. The apes and humans go to war because of their mistrust for each other, and amidst that mistrust are resources. "The apes don't need electricity" - and the humans have guns that Koba wants.

And that gas station scene is all to a song about a traveler finding the holy land, but leaving disappointed.

Like, the shit is pretty neatly linked, and pretty in-your-face.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 am

Monk I think you should seriously consider professional counselling.

If you're trolling, fine.

If you're serious though you ought to talk to someone because there's something twisted going on in your brain.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Monk I think you should seriously consider professional counselling.

If you're trolling, fine.

If you're serious though you ought to talk to someone because there's something twisted going on in your brain.
Come on, KFC! Dawn was a movie explicitly about resources. The humans need electricity -- they seek the old way of life. The apes don't need resources, as spelled out in a line spoken by the poor man's Samuel L Jackson. But some of them do covet the human resources of firepower. I'm looking at you, Koba.

So, in a kind of swap, humans get electricity while the apes get guns. I mean, in a way, the two factions go to war because they each have access to what the other wants. Koba wants power in the form of weaponry. The humans want access to the territory controlled by apes, the hydroplant.

Then they celebrate at a gas station when the power comes back on. Why did the writers choose a gas station? What significance does gas, or fuel, have? I mean, consider recent history. Consider, currently, oil pipelines. I mean, the electricity generated comes from a renewable energy source in hydropower, and yet, the celebration scene is not at the dam looking over nature's awesome power, but at a dinky gas station. The gas/fuel has significance. This is not accidental. Then they play a song (again, a choice, not some rad tune that the third assistant director had on his ipod) about a man wandering into what he believes is holy land (Nazareth) and leaving disappointed, or at least, unimpressed.

The apes and the humans go to war because, unbeknownst to them, the only possible outcomes are total trust or all out war. They both try to tread a narrow line down the middle. The apes don't really "start" the war, but they are shown, in the form of Koba and his cronies, to be equally as bad as humans. Ceasar even states this ("we are more like them than I realized" or something).

The thing with Dawn that I don't like is that so much is painstakingly explained and qualified. As an example, Ceasar's line "you are not ape" is too on-the-nose for a film that, quite soberly, examines Ceasar's black-and-white moral code, and calls it out. In Rise, a lot was at least suggested -- we (the audience) were trusted more, and expected to infer. In Dawn, it's like the film is sometimes being condescending in explaining things that are acutely obvious. The subtitles are another example. A lot could be inferred from facial expression, but then we get these two-sentence subtitles for like, a two--gesture sign of an easily readable emotion. I found this oddly disappointing. Not sure why.

But anyway, then, you see the gas station scene amidst all this over-explaining, and it's not explained! It's a pretty good bit of in-your-face subtlety, if that makes sense.

Again, ask yourself: Why a gas station? Why FUEL? Why OIL? Why THAT specific imagery? The celebration could have been anywhere! A guard outpost! At the dam! A rest stop! The electricity they just gave back to themselves came from water, something renewable. So why a gas station? Again, I feel, it was a choice, and it was meant to reflect something. All I'm posting is what I think it means, (in my opinion of course).

Oil has been, and will forever be, linked with war, exploitation, and capitalism. So, why, specifically, a gas station?

I liked Dawn, but I liked Rise more. Not because Dawn was a bad film -- it is a far more mature film that Rise is. But because it was a grim film. We start with a human shooting a monkey, and we end with the monkey leader resigning to the fate of war. Nothing good or happy happens in between. All efforts at peace fail. It's just grim.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Yeah, look, a lot of what you're saying has some degree of plausibility Monk. There was definitely a power struggle over resources and weapons involved.

I'm all for people sharing their opinions, but you do have this tendency to overthink / read way more into what is actually there.

For example, sure, the gas station could be interpreted that way but it's a little extreme.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1862191/planet- ... -chinlund/
Chinlund: Matt was such an inspiring leader and collaborator. It was a tremendous pleasure and exciting opportunity to be there every step of the way with him as he broke the story. I was actually on the film before he started, which was a very unusual circumstance, but allowed us to feed him with ideas and environments as he explored and evolved the story.

There are many examples, but some of the big ones are the Gas Station, as we were looking for a way to reflect evidence of the human world near the Apes and also a way to explain how the power had been restored.
Not just in this thread either. All I'm saying is just be a bit aware of that, because some of the stuff you post is (imo) borderline delusional.
KFC

[ignore]