bittah.com!~ [Movie] The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:02 am

[Movie] The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

[One-Liner]
- How to deal with love / loss / illness / death / afterwards (not afterlife as in those who are left behind)
- aka CHIIIIIICK FLIIIIIIIICK

[Plot]
- Adapted from a book of the same title, with (apparently) a few changes made along the way... I haven't read it but from what I've seen they don't seem to be massive changes?
- Hazel Grace Lancester has terminal cancer and has become rather distant towards others in her life / potential friends
- Worried she is a "grenade" that will obliterate everyone around her, especially her family / Mum who have already nearly lost her once
- Reluctantly starts attending a support group because her Mum thinks it'd be a good idea
- Doesn't really get much out it
- Until she meets Gus, a recovering cancer survivor who has grand plans for his life now
- They gradually fall in love and Hazel starts to warm up to those around her too
- Twist involving
Spoiler: Show
the cancer coming back and overtaking Gus instead and Hazel having to learn to deal with the sorts of post-death feelings that her parents will inevitably have to face
- Subplot involving a writer that Hazel looks up to (overseas) who goes from being a hero to a villain to somewhat trying to redeem himself over the course of the movie

[Pros]
- It's a bit formulaic, but generally takes all the characters on an interesting arc
- Acting is (generally) pretty well done and helps the audience engage with the characters

[Cons]
- The tears... oh my fucking GOD the tears... and I don't mean from the cast... I mean looking around the cinema and having women borderline HYSTERICAL at some points in this movie
Spoiler: Show
like when Hazel is giving the fake eulogy
:monkey:
- I wanted to reach into the movie and hit Gus in the throat at times... he's got a few very obnoxious punchable scenes...
- Didn't find Laura Dern a particularly good choice as the Mum...

[Rating]
3.5 KFC buckets out of 5, it's a nice enough movie, especially if you want to earn brownie points being the shoulder to cry on at the end
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:16 pm

I liked this movie, although I thought Gus was a bit cliché perfect (besides the obvious bit).
Also would give it 3.5/5
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm

I was one of those borderline hysterical women in the crowd :cry: 3.8

related feels I watched during my last period that I rated:
It's kind of a funny story - 2010
The art of getting by - 2011
Stuck in love - 2012
Chef - 2014