bittah.com!~ [Movie] The Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Sat May 03, 2014 11:43 pm

[Movie] The Amazing Spiderman 2 (2014)

*Placeholder for full review tomorrow* Ah screw it I'll do it now...

Have been waiting for DJ to do to this one, but ended up catching it in 3D this evening.

[One-Liner]
- Peter Parker finally deals with his past demons, and accepts his future life as Spiderman in this (by the end) quite enjoyable movie that unfortunately suffers from an overly bloated first 2 (!) hours

[Plot]
- Plagued by a feeling of abandonment by his parents, a difficult relationship with Gwen,
Spoiler: Show
coupled with the death of her father
, Peter Parker gets rather emo a la Tobey Maguire in Spiderman 3
- "What life do I want and who do I want in it"
- For the first 2 hours of this movie
- Jamie Foxx is introduced as Electro, a former Spidey fan with self-esteem issues who loses faith in the webslinger and starts to align himself with the new Ozcorp owner, who is battling his own illness and mutiny from within his company

[Pros]
- Quite touching by the end
especially given you know Gwen isn't going to make it, but they handle her death well
- Action scenes are chaotic fun
- Enjoyed the 3D (if not slightly cliche in parts) but could imagine some getting a bit queezy during it

[Cons]
- Did I mention it was bloated?
What does phase me though is the new Spider-Man movie pulling average reviews (6ish score). Gah!

They're saying that it's too busy, too much stuff going on. So unsurprising. Soon as I found out there were 3 supervillians I knew it'd end up that way. Gah. Gah. Gah I say.
- I just don't see how this is possible... seriously... the first TWO HOURS are spent introducing Electro and getting Spiderman to sort his shit out. Then we get the Green Goblin thrown in in the last 30 minutes. And Rhino in the last 5-10. It's not THAT hectic...
- "I dump YOU" scene made me wince, some of the dialogue between Peter and Gwen seemed improv'ed... or really badly written... either way some of the scenes fell flat

[Score]
3 KFC buckets out of 5, would have maybe gotten ~4 if they'd left about an hour on the cutting room floor
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 04, 2014 11:54 am

Hmm i only super skimmed this as I haven't seen it yet and hate tarnishing my impressions by reviews - but i hadnt seen it yet due to seeing it getting a 6 or so on various other sites - chiefly saying it's too busy with all the villians.

After feeling disappointed with Spidey 3 (emo-man), i wasn't in any super rush to see this one - but your review gives me the hope - especially the 'touching by the end' - that at least suggests it's fairly strong on the character front with Spidey himself and I assume Gwen.

To tell you the truth, my most anticipated movie coming up is Godzilla - never would have thought i'd say that :)
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Dont you hate it when you think it's monday - but it's still Sunday (GoT d/l) :/ - Offff topic
ImPaLoR
PLEASE EXPLAIN!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!

[ignore]

Post » Sun May 04, 2014 12:46 pm

Dont you hate it when you think it's monday - but it's still Sunday (GoT d/l) :/ - Offff topic
Not really, because that'd mean I was at work, as opposed to lumoxing at home.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 2:42 am

Not really, because that'd mean I was at work, as opposed to lumoxing at home.
Here we see an individual who has been heavily indoctrinated use his instilled belief system as a means to insinuate that another individual, who publicly makes claims and assertions of being less indoctrinated than the lay man; however is merely occupying the outer rim of the systems elaborate self reinforcing mechanisms, is less valuable to our society due to his failure to adhere to the initially mentioned indoctrination.

I found my ball scans, will post soon.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 am

Anyway, stay on topic thx
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 11:16 am

Yeah stfu Ragingmoose.

Jeez.

I think you'll probably still like the movie DJ, see how it goes, I just found it rather lumbering.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 am

I left it thinking:
The next film should be better now that the love interest is dead as it was getting a little bit twilighty for my liking.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 11:36 am

Yeah same. Cleaned out the skeletons in the closet nicely.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon May 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Ah goddamnit, i clicked that spoiler - but it's all good, i knew that anyway from the comics.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri May 09, 2014 12:45 am

Intro scene was great, and the movie went steadily downhill from there.
Can't help but be disappointed that they had to fall back on characters being either autistic or insane or both as justification for them being evil, they even had a nice setup there with osborn wanting spiderman's blood to heal himself but then almost immediately devolves into being unreasonable and throwing tantrums. His father seems to have lived into his 50's, and he's acting like if he doesn't get spiderblood within the next hour he's going to die.
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sat May 10, 2014 10:21 pm

I just saw this and i have to say, I really enjoyed it. There were more positives than negatives overall I felt - but in saying that, I agree it was bloated. I think this time around, they absolutely nailed Spider-man. He was much more playful than any film version before - lots of one-liners, almost goofy - which is just like his comic/cartoon incarnation. They also absolutely nailed everything about the character web-slinging and general movement. There are so many recognizable poses taken from the comics that it's a pleasure to watch. Even things like him trying to scoop up all the rods in the back of the van - it was a bit silly, but it was that loveable silliness that IS Spider-Man. In the first movie, his one liners were too serious, almost mean. But that may have bee him fighting his own demons etc. Also liked Parker distracting those guys with the coffee cup etc - just goofy, but having fun with his amazing agility etc. Really good character stuff.

I also think the special fx were superb. Almost mind-blowing in a way that you're not even concious of them, they're all so seamless these days. And that carries all the way down to things such as - when Electro blew up Osborn's amazo(tm) desk - it looked fantastic.

I watched the movie keeping in mind it was a comic universe. There's always going to be things that don't translate well into a movie that would work no problem in a comic. I enjoyed most exchanges between him and Gwen, and found the way they
handled her death was superb. It was really quite subtle, and done in such a way that it truly was moving.
But in saying all of the above, I really struggle with bad plot points, or lame characters.

I thought Electro was a mixed bag. When he was just fighting Spiderman and being all electric - awesome. When he was being pre-Electro retard and most other times he was talking - bad. I really didnt dig Jamie Foxx in this role. I also found it way too convenient that he suddenly became Spider-mans no.1 hater. That all just felt so contrived. And moreso -
when Electro was beaten and Gwen died - that to me was when the movie could have ended.
Harry alternated between quiet emo kid and almost surfer dude. His transition to Spider hater was more justified. I did particularly like the scene when Peter came to see him and he was cold, then warmed up and the two embraced. Those were the kind of moments that really made the movie enjoyable IMO.
But his transformation to Goblin.....ok i accept he transformed - but what's with the door to the suit automatically opening when the guy leaves and he uses the venom? He's crawling across the ground in pain - then just happens to get into that suit? How the fuck did he get in it? And he's just master of the hoverboard straight up? Everything about the goblin felt tacked on with little to no foreshadowing.
I have to admit, i actually kinda liked the kid dressed as Spiderman at the end - it was tacky, but i kinda liked it. But the Rhino being introduced at the end was wtf. It could have been better handled just having SPidey show up for anything other than an actual Villain (but i did get all fanboy seeing Doc Oc's tentacles and what looked to be the Vultures wings prior). Im glad that ended really abruptly though - had that gone on for another fight, then yeah, lame. I really like the comic Rhino, but i understand getting a Russian guy just to be stuck in a giant rhino suit is a bit lame.

Two other things;
1. Didnt buy that train popping out of the station - that was a convenient plot device.
2. Wtf was with that super camp, super cheesy german doctor studying Electro? That was almost laughabad.
All in all though, as a spiderman film, i really enjoyed it. It wasnt perfect, but it was very enjoyable. I'd give it 3.5 / 5

Next stop, Godzilla!
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:52 pm

I finally managed to see this last night after meaning to for months. What a disappointing film.

Best part is that Electro's electricity power fixed his gap-tooth. Boy had to get himself correct.
For a film subtitled "Rise of Electro", removing him from the film changes very little. Probably should have called it Rise of the Goblin as the focus on the villain is mostly on Harry.
Electro is kind of Riddler-lite, isn't he?
Spider-Man really fucks up the Stacy family, doesn't he?
Web turning into a little hand... hmm not sure where I stand on that one.
I'm going to take my kid to go watch some mechanized rhino tank trade gunfire with police. What could possibly go wrong in a town where Spidey is no more? Oh, whew, that was lucky!
Film felt like it was written around set pieces and fun scenes, like spidey in the fire helmet. "Hey, you know what would be GREAT!?"
That whole times square set piece would have been much better if it was more visually distinct. What we got was just shit loads of blue and black. In fact, this applies to the whole film.

With that said, I didn't much like the first film either, and think that Raimi's films are far and away better -- yes, even the disaster that was third. Raimi's films had a lot more charm to them. Granted, Garfield is a more snappy and charming Peter than Maguire.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 pm

why does every spiderman movie feel like 9/11 therapy for new yorkers
3 / 10
even the cgi was sub par
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]