!~ [Movie] Dallas Buyers Club (2013)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:34 pm

[Movie] Dallas Buyers Club (2013)

Been meaning to watch this one for a while. Finally got around to it and it was pretty good.

- Based on a true story
- Ron Woodruff is a drugtaking, gambling, wildly homophobic redneck who has an accident at work and wakes up in hospital
- Upon hearing he only has 30 days to live due to HIV, he initially treats the diagnosis with disgust ("only faggots get AIDs") but slowly realises it's actually happening
- What follows is his attempts to get the FDA-funded medicine being trialled, the realisation that pharmaceuticals are actually assholes, a journey to and from Mexico / the World finding alternative ways of getting people the help they need to manage the virus, setting up the "Dallas Buyers Club" where members can get all the medicine they want for the $400 joining fee... and the inevitable legal battles that ensue

- Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto both deserved their Oscars for this film as they really do a great job of selling their characters
- Highlights (not for the first time) the struggle alternative medicine faces against the larger corporations
- Has a few nice humour moments to break the rather sombre tone

- He fought the law and ... well ... there was never really much doubt as to how that was going to end really
- Ending itself was rather abrupt / badly done with a pretty basic epilogue
- Jennifer Garner didn't really do anything for me as Eve (apparently they invented this character for the movie) but that was more down to acting range
- Ron's character arc from "fuck off faggots" to "they are human too" was a little cliche... and not sure if entirely true... but hey... Hollywood

If it wasn't for the last 10 minutes or so I'd have given it 4 stars, but I'll stick with 3.5
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

Post » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:05 pm

I didn't mind it - not really en epic movie - but sends a decent message.

Great acting by male lead - Mat McConaughey.

ps. Hard to eat mediocre film fare when you're used to delicious and grandiose multi-episode TV banquets

Post » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Post » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:38 am

ha. i thought we had a thread for this but i guess it was just discussion about McConaughey in the True Detective thread...

I agree with KFC about Jennifer Garner but I am probably bias on this point having actually watched Ghost of Girlfriend's Past... :(

I would have liked it a bit longer and some more scenes about him trying to buy merchandise and getting in into the country as well as the legal battles. Looking at imdb it says running time 117 mins and that seems a bit short to what I'm used to in a good flick these days. It's an interesting story and I'm sure there's a lot more to it than what they squeezed into ~2 hrs.

7.3 doesn't sound completely unreasonable.
bittah doyen
bittah doyen