bittah.com!~ [Movie] Robocop (2014)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

• Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:14 am

[Movie] Robocop (2014)

So this movie very much feels like the movieMonk was watching when everyone else was watching a policeman being shot limb from limb / perps being castrated with bullets / doused in radioactive sludge.

If you walk in expecting to see a gritty Detroit overrun with perps and Robocop blasting his way through them like the original you're in for a disappointment. But that said, I didn't mind the direction they took it in the end. This is more an evaluation of the human psyche than anything.

Plot
- After a (rather clunky) introduction explaining how robots have been deployed in other countries for security but not America (including a rather stereotypical terrorist attack in Tehran) we cut back to an introduction explaining why the US is "robophobic" and won't accept a bill introducing a law enforcement lacking in a human element.
- In a bid to get their robots into the lucrative US market, Omnicorp (child company of OCP) hatch a scheme to create a more human security force using disabled officers as their guinea pigs.
- They are unable to find a suitable candidate until Alex Murphy is conveniently blown up by Antoine Vallon, an arms dealer who Alex is tracking with his partner Lewis (with a sprinkling of corrupt cops thrown in for good measure).
- Unfortunately the human element means that compared to the other robots Robocop is "less efficient," and the rest of the movie then revolves around how much Omnicorp are prepared to subtly remove Murphy from the equation to get the bill passed. And whether he'll let that happen.

Pros
- It's not exactly Sigmund Freud material, but shifting the focus to Murphy and his battle with holding onto his humanity (and family) against a company that want nothing more than to use him as a Marketing tool was a nice touch. Is Robocop really just a machine that thinks he's Alex Murphy?
- Effects are really nice. Especially the reveal of Murphy's true body / brain surgery which had a few around me wincing. ED-209 has evolved from a rather clunky claymation model to a nicely animated and believable robot too.
- Action scenes were fairly sporadic, but very well done. Blended some nice first person elements in there too, and not in a lame way a la Doom.

Cons
- "The Novak Element" scenes are fucking NAUSEATING. Wow. If I had to watch another clip of Samuel L Jackson staring somewhat menacingly through the camera telling me how "we as Americans deserve our freedom, our security, our robots" with a CGI American Flag waving behind him I was going to projectile vomit. I'm not sure if this was this movie attempting to recreate the satire of the first, but they were very grating.
- Detroit is a little too sterile? I dunno... just didn't see why they really needed Robocop tbh... the crime element was rather underplayed.
- Doesn't have much of the humour of the original, especially the tongue-in-cheek ads that I enjoyed quite a lot.
- Some rather pointless / annoying characters in there, namely him and him.
- Lewis is a black guy. Now. I'm not trying to be racist here, but holy shit it's becoming even more patently obvious that to get certain movies greenlit in Hollywood you have to beef up the black contingent. He even makes a comment about how much better Murphy looks in his black costume or some shit... rather unnecessary imo.

Overall I quite enjoyed it though, 3 KFC buckets out of 5. Lost major points for the Samuel L Jackson scenes tbh.
Last edited by KFC on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 pm

Name drop boo yah. 8-)
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 pm

I can't think of this movie now without thinking of this recent media coverage, which is pretty lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToaHQI9X5RI[/youtube]

Surprised it got 3 whole KFC buckets - mustnt be too bad then - better than i thought anyway. Might wait till a home release version.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Yeah, I was a bit surprised too. It wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. An above average film. Just don't go in expecting the original and you should enjoy it... and they didn't butcher it by changing it as dramatically as the Total Recall remake.

IMO.

See what you guys think.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:20 pm

That doctors assistant had some pretty cringe worthy lines.

"He's operating beyond physics and chemistry!!" :|
Funks
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah, but in the scheme of things pretty disposable though... I certainly didn't linger on things like that.

Even when they slipped in a rather clumsy tie back to the originals but with "I WOULDN'T buy that for a dollar" instead I let it go.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 pm

Um wtf!

Edit NSFW
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/86014703[/vimeo]
Last edited by Duff5000 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duff5000
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm

A NSFW tag would have been nice on that one....
lenny
calm

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Was tempted to post that in the first post after alluding to it with the whole bullet castration thing... but thought it might be a bit much.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:15 pm

A NSFW tag would have been nice on that one....
Yeah was going to edit a NSFW in but was distracted by lunch. Oops
Duff5000
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:18 pm

holy shit i nearly wet myself
TOMbombadill
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:46 am

lol that vid was great.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:38 am

Hah yeh saw that last week.. the clip is from a amateur filmmakers remake of robocop, but fatal farm who did that scene is some oddball ad production house or something.. and i think they are basically doing a tyler durden cock splicing homage vs the rest :P
DOX
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:20 am

lol that vid is hilarious
Deepjay

[ignore]