bittah.com!~ [Movie] Inside Llewyn Davis [2013]

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now

Midair

Playing now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:50 pm

[Movie] Inside Llewyn Davis [2013]

A new film by the Coens about a subject I'm specifically interested warranted my first visit to the cinema in over a year. I wanted to see it in Gold Class, but apparently they only play masterpieces like Anchorman 2 there, so I had to go to Dendy in Newtown and pay $19 to watch it in a tiny theatre on a screen that didn't seem much bigger than a big screen TV, and $4.50 for my choc-top.

The film is set in the folk music world in 1961 New York, which is significant as it's just before Bob Dylan arrived there and blew up, bringing greater interest and money to it. The film follows Llewyn Davis, a solo folk singer and guitarist, who, along with dealing with grief and disillusionment, is struggling to make even the most basic financial requirements, such as paying for his friend's girlfriend's abortion who he may or may not have knocked up.

This is a melancholic and darkly humorous film, filled with reoccurring gags and motifs, that start off trivial, but end up being more significant. All the musical performances are excellent, and were recorded live with the actual actors performing, which certainly adds to the verisimilitude (you like that word? I learnt it in film school). There's no real plot to this, but rather a series of loosely connected events with Llewyn trying to mkae headway and sense of the world.

I came out of this film thinking it was pretty good. But in the day or two after, certain themes and questions posed by the film were resonating inside me, so I downloaded a screener, and have watched it a further two times within the week, and I can now safely say it is an excellent movie that rewards repeat viewings.

As an aside, the most evocative shot in the film is one that is in almost pitch black dark. In the cinema, I could clearly see what was happening in it, but you can't see shit on the screener.

5 Cats out of 5
Spoiler: Show
"Llewyn is the cat."
dumbo
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Watched it, enjoyed it, but I think
There's no real plot to this, but rather a series of loosely connected events
is what made it a bit less memorable for me.
Don't regret seeing it. Wouldn't re-watch though.
Loved the cat.
ColonelBlair
bittah, jaded, anti social freak
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]