bittah.com!~ [Movie] The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:44 am

[Movie] The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

so there's this actor guy named ben stiller who consistently makes terrible movies (except for tropic thunder) and discovers the only way to get back on the big screen was to produce, direct and star in it himself. unable to find serious actors willing to work with him he calls in favours from other comedy actors and sean penn who was probably unaware how terrible ben stiller's films are because he's always in haiti helping people.

the first few minutes sets the stage (these aren't spoilers). walter mitty is a long term employee as a negative asset manager for Life magazine's photo department. He's prone to daydreaming and constantly drifts away to play out little fantasies that make his life seem more exciting and meaningful. He has recently signed up with eHarmony because he heard the girl he likes at work was on there but since he hasn't done anything he's unable to complete his profile and gets errors when he tries to send her a wink. on top of this, Life magazine has just been acquired by a company that wants to move it entirely online and sends in the douchebag junior executives to determine who gets fired. they have one last issue to produce and a reclusive world renound photographer has just sent a roll of film with what he describes as his greatest photo, negative #25. walter discovers negative #25 is actually missing and sets out to find it.

bad: this film takes a very ... very long time to get going. we're talking hobbit #1 dragged out intro's here. it got to the point where it felt like they're targetting stupid people who hadn't grasped the character and need to see it again a few more times. it does however give ben stiller the room he needs to put his cringey comedy hat back on and do some stupid accents etc. this happens quite a few times in the movie and they stand out like sore thumbs.

good: this film has a really really good CGI team. even though i would have preferred a few less fantasy scenes some of the transitions into them are done almost seamlessly. the landscapes of iceland are just stunning and would have to be my favorite parts of the film.

2 / 5
Spoiler: Show
in the end, the storyline was a big fat anticlimax. when he finally does meet the photographer and the hype that has been building up all movie about the negative and the clues he's been following just fizzled. some of the things that happen in the movie feel incomplete or unresolved. what you're left with is questions, some amazing scenery, excellent CGI and ben stillers annoying comedy scenes out of nowhere. stuff like the sherpa sign language argument and LAX airport xray scenes add nothing to the story and just damaged the film even further for me. it had the makings of a good ol' forest gump style adventure story while he tries to find himself but it just doesn't deliver in the end.
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:53 am

so there's this actor guy named ben stiller who consistently makes terrible movies (except for tropic thunder)
Zoolander, Mystery Men
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:58 am

heh, i'd forgotten about mystery men. where the fuck is that sequel instead of night at the museum 3 ffs?
wafflemaaaan
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 pm

God that actually sounds terrible. From the trailers, i sort of had the impression that it was a story of a guy finding himself or something - that he's off journeying, but learning about himself - ie something quite thought provoking/inner discovery.

Sounds about as deep as that Vince Vaughan movie where he's donated jizz 500 times and is now having his grown up jizzlings hunting him down - or any movie starring Adam Sandler or the guy from the Gigolo.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Let's watch Ben Stiller do cool shit for 2 hours! Yeah, no thanks.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:06 pm

I thought this film was a despicable corporate advert masquerading as a movie. Seriously, look at the stunning obvious product placement (eHarmony, that fast food chain), and the "message" was as twee as a Mastercard advert.

On facebook, a girl said this was the best film she had seen in a long time and ended the post with "How are you living your life?". I've learnt over the years to keep my opinion to myself, but I felt some of the old dumbo rage well up.

I also only watched this film because years ago, Bongo called me Walter Mitty, and I had no idea what that meant, but now that I do, fuck you Bongo!
dumbo
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:12 pm

It reminded me a lot of Adam Sandler's attempts at serious movies.

I didn't feel it was a complete waste of my time, but that's probably because I was really hungover or something.
deadpixel
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:34 pm

I
I also only watched this film because years ago, Bongo called me Walter Mitty, and I had no idea what that meant, but now that I do, fuck you Bongo!
lol, but you have to appreciate insults that are dropped into a bottle and thrown into the e-ocean to be found later.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Holy shit. I completely forgot about Mystery Men too ..... downloading!
MetalSutton
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:33 am

I watched this over the weekend with the wife (as several of her friends said it was great and she wanted to see it)- so i grabbed a copy and to be honest, I quite enjoyed it.

When you look at the plot as spelled out by Hobbit, it's ridiculous yeah - the whole e-harmony character was a joke - and the overtly douchey douchebag with the beard - but i actually did enjoy it, and i thought the final scene with the long lost cover did actually work really nicely.

I just felt that it had a good vibe running through it, and it's not the kind of story i'd pick apart as being contrived etc because of course it was, but it didnt overly detract from it. This was probably helped along by some of that amazing scenery from Iceland/Greenland. I thought Sean Penn's character in it was quite cool too - i liked that element, and his link to Walter.

I particularly liked that drunk helicopter pilot and that scene in the bar - made me want to watch something based in Iceland/Greenland.

I'd give it a solid 3 stars
Deepjay

[ignore]