bittah.com!~ [Movie] Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 am

[Movie] Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Story
- "A while ago" Odin's Father thinks he has killed all the Dark Elves and safely secured the Aether (i.e. this movie's MacGuffin) that would return the Universe to darkness... but he hasn't...
- "In the present day" Thor fights with 3 (well 4 strictly) new characters to bring peace to the Nine Realms (which is why he didn't call Natalie Portman back but typically bloody woman she is still pissed at the guy)
- Foster (Natalie) rather conveniently stumbles upon the "hidden" Aether whilst investigating a temporal anomaly on Earth, and becomes infected by it
- Thor shows and whisks her off to Asgard where they are attacked by the (now re-awakened) Dark Elves trying to get access to the Aether again
- Thor then commits treason (along with several others) by defying Odin's orders and taking Foster to the Dark World (with the help of Loki whom he springs from prison) to lure Malekith there instead
- An epic battle between good and evil erupts with the fate of humanity lying in the balance... etc etc etc

Pros
- Very nicely filmed (see Cons for an exception though), and the battles are pretty engaging
- Christopher Eccleston plays Malekith very well
- Loki somewhat steals the scenes he's in... especially when he assumes the form of other characters (e.g. Captain America) after being set free
- Interaction between Thor and Loki evolves nicely (although somewhat obviously) through the course of the movie
- A few nice twists in the plot
Spoiler: Show
like how Loki isn't actually dead, and assumes the throne as Odin towards the end
Cons
- Disappointing lack of any real 3D? Barely noticed anything when watching...
- Starts slooowly... first few acts drag on for fucking ages... really only after
Thor's Mum is killed
does it become a different movie. Almost feels like someone took over midway and went "guys this is really shit, the plot is slow and boring, the jokes all fall flat, let's change that eh?"

There are two stingers in the credits, one mid and one after. Certainly wouldn't hang around for the one after tbh as it was rather pointless...
Mid
- Implies that the Infinity Gauntlet will make an appearance at some point in these movies
- Volstagg and Sif give the Aether Infinity Stone to the Collector for safe keeping since having it and the Tesseract in the same location would be a bad idea... the Collector mutters "1 down 5 to go" in an attempt to be ominous... scene is so poorly shot / acted though it's almost like it was an afterthought...

End
- Foster is moping around in her apartment... Thor shows up and gives her a kiss... one of the monsters that was still left on Earth... that noone seems to mind is still there... chases some birds away... pretty dumb shit tbh
If not for the rather plodding first half this movie would've been a lot better imo... 3 KFC buckets out of 5
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 am

I really enjoyed Thor 2. It was much better than #1, it had some totally lol moments and some good action.
The bit at the end with Loki pretending to be Odin, does that mean Loki killed Odin and took his place or he just happened to be there pretending when Thor came back and Odin is still around as well?
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 am

Yeah that bit isn't obvious.

Either killed / hidden somewhere tbh. Hard to imagine Loki got that lucky with the timing... especially given how important Thor coming back at that time would've been...

Sure it'll be explained. And how Heimdall doesn't suspect anything either...

Opens up a nice arc for the films though.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:27 am

decent film, manages to combine the norse world with sci-fi ala the thor comics quite well

story decent if typical, effects good, characters excellent

final part with loki does set up great story arc in the great tradition of the trickster

3.5 stars of 5
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Re: the first mid credits scene.
It essentially was an afterthought but a planned one, it is intended to lead directly into Guardians of the Galaxy. GOTG had just started filming when Thor wrapped, and The Collector is the main villain in that film.
My degree of excitement for GOTG surprises even me.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:02 pm

I thought the villain in GOTG was going to be Ronan the Accuser though? With Ultron being the villain in the next Avengers movie?

Can't see a huge evolution of the Infinity Gauntlet arc until a later phase then? Until Thanos starts making a lot more of an appearance? See what happens...
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah you're right, Ronan will be the main villain but I think with Benicio del Toro playing the Collector I doubt he'll be any less than a menacing big-bad in the shadows, hopefully more.

I was psyched for GOTG just because of how out there the concept is and how ballsy it was of Marvel but the casting will guarantee huge box office from the promotional chat show appearances alone.

◾Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star-Lord
◾Dave Bautista as Arthur Douglas/Drax the Destroyer
◾Vin Diesel as Groot
◾Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon
◾Zoe Saldana as Gamora
◾Michael Rooker as Yondu Udonta
◾To-be-confirmed actor as Thanos
◾Benicio del Toro as Taneleer Tivan/The Collector
◾Ophelia Lovibond as The Collector's Aide
◾Lee Pace as Ronan the Accuser
◾Djimon Hounsou as Korath the Pursuer
◾Enzo Cilenti as a to-be-confirmed character
◾Glenn Close as Nova Prime
◾John C. Reilly as Rhomann Dey
◾Karen Gillan as Nebula

They pretty much cover all the bases. Close and del Toro for the serious actor side, Diesel and Cooper for the blockbuster angle, a wrestler, a Dr Who sidekick and a Walking Dead cast member for the TV side, Hounsou and Saldana for legit non-token racial variety, and Reilly for the lols. Epic cast.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Yeah agreed, it's a pretty good direction they're taking the story and casting. Definitely interested to see where they go from here.

Now they just need to do something like kill off one or more of the Heroes for the ultimate :boggle:
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Hahah, being familiar with the comics that would probably just make my eyes roll more than bulge. Death is NEVER permanent in the Marvel Universe. Jean Grey is on like her 13th life or something.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Fucking theater releases, I'm going to have to watch this one on a cam
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:10 am

Hahah, being familiar with the comics that would probably just make my eyes roll more than bulge. Death is NEVER permanent in the Marvel Universe. Jean Grey is on like her 13th life or something.
Dunno man, Cyclops seems pretty fucking dead at the moment in the X-Men movies... :yellow_laugh:

Yeah look it may not happen, but would be a nice addition that's all... especially as they seem quite happy to kill characters off to keep the movies a bit dark...

Given they nearly killed him in the first Avengers I'd suggest Iron Man making some sort of heroes exit... rather than going all suicidal or something...
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:54 am

Funny you mention Cyclops as his death added nothing to X3, and there are hints he may return in Days of Future Past just like Stewart's Xavier, another casualty of X3. Killing leads has already become cliche, I'd actually prefer if Marvel avoided it. If Downey wants out let them recast the role, as alluded to by Kevin Feige. Killing a big character would either close a lot of options forever or require a cheap, point-defeating retcon.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Does Hannibal lector(forgot his name) play the father in thor2?

Edit: Anthony Hopkins. What an actor <3
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]