bittah.com!~ [Movie] Captain Phillips (2013)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:47 am

[Movie] Captain Phillips (2013)

Yeeeah... it was alright...

Plot
- Forrest Gump captains a bunch of newbies through a dangerous stretch of water with a bunch of supplies onboard
- Yarr matey blokes arrive and try to take over the ship
- "Heroicially" the Captain ends up in a life raft together with the pirates where the pirates ponder if / how they're going to get their money and escape with their lives
- Standoff between the Navy and the lifeboat trying to get Phillips back
- Based on a true story apparently... but I daresay had a bit of Hollywood flavour added to it
Spoiler: Show
e.g. Would the President REALLY order that the lifeboat was not allowed to reach Mombasa at any costs? Not quite sure if that was part of the original ordeal or not... anyway...
Pros
- Quite well acted I suppose, especially by the person playing Muse (one of the pirates)
- Scenes with the ship being boarded / crew trying to remain hidden and sabotage the pirates was predictable but had some tension...

Cons
- Drags on a bit... especially towards the end of the standoff in the life capsule / beyond.
Almost like Tom Hanks decided that he needed to milk all the emotion he could out of the character once he'd survived to keep himself in the running for an Oscar.
Still, 3 KFC buckets out of 5

Obligatory:

KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 am

I'd recommend reading the AMA on Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1 ... ose_story/
Almost like Tom Hanks decided that he needed to milk all the emotion he could out of the character once he'd survived to keep himself in the running for an Oscar.
In reality...
I have really had no nightmares or dreams from the incident. 2 days after in the movie it shows me crying in the hospital, and the incident actually occurred the 2nd and 3rd night, I would wake up in the night and I had a digital clock so I knew exactly what time it was, and I would be crying, racking and sobbing. And I would mentally slap myself in the head and say "What's your problem? You made it, you're lucky."

And there was this one SEAL who somehow sensed something in me and basically was harassing me, and he explained "Rich, it doesn't always turn out like this." They are not always successful. After some missions, they have to talk to psychologists. So I said "if you leave me alone, I will call him" so I called the SEAL psychologist. And he got a sense of me on the phone talking to him and he asked me if I was sad the pirates died, and I said no doc, no stockholm syndrome here, and then I said put us all back in the boat and we'll see who walks out. And then he asked me if I was sleeping and I said I slept like a baby. And then he asked me if I was eating and I said I was not eating much but because it was hot that was normal for me. And then he asked me if I cried a lot, and I said no but I was waking up at 5 in the morning crying like a little baby. And he said basically it was the hormones and chemicals put out by your body during a fight or flight situation. And he asked me what I did when I woke up crying, and I told him what I am telling all of you, and he said well that is one mechanism to release these chemicals and hormones, crying and talking about it, so he told me the next time it happened to let it run its natural course. For the fourth morning, I woke up at 5 in the morning crying and sobbing like a little baby and I just let it flow for 45 minutes and it ended on its own. And it never happened again after that. And so I truly believe now that it is important to talk to someone who can help you, and to cry.
EDIT: If you have a problem with the lack of spoiler tags, I be you'd hate it if I told you that the Titanic sunk.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:09 am

Oh yeah, I'm sure it would've affected him.

But
they do linger on it quite a bit. There's an awkward scene after the pirates have just been shot in the lifeboat... and in complete silence Phillips is screaming hysterically because he's alive... then breaks down in front of the nurses. Felt quite tacked on / forced tbh, and extended the movie for no real benefit. Other than to let Hanks flex his acting chops. IMO.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 am

Ok fair call then.

I think Phillips explanation of the crying is fascinating, but harder to get across (and of course not Oscar bait.)
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55 am

Holy shit tom hanks was forest gump!?
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:28 pm

i like tom hanks ill admit it, and the trailer showed that while in the life boat it humanized the pirate king/captain/black beard. i thought that made the movie looked interesting.
TOMbombadill
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:11 pm

There's a bit of that, but it's pretty formulaic. Like "omg I'm so poor have to be a pirate" type of thing.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Movie was 3.5/5

Tom Hanks performance of someone in shock was quintessentially beautiful. I had chills watching that scene. Brought back my own experiences of shock and how your brain basically shuts down on you. Don't listen to kfc's rhetoric on that.
Bash
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:46 am

Re: [Movie] Captain Phillips (2013)

Movie was 3.5/5

Tom Hanks performance of someone in shock was quintessentially beautiful. I had chills watching that scene. Brought back my own experiences of shock and how your brain basically shuts down on you. Don't listen to kfc's rhetoric on that.
Haven't seen the film but your sentiments RE: shock are seconded. In my case it took years to realise I had it.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:33 am

Except I'm not saying it wouldn't have been traumatic.

I'm saying adding the scenes where they did felt awkward. And seemed more of a Tom Hanks acting vehicle than useful plot / character development.

But yes go see the movie and judge for yourselves.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:44 am

I'd argue it was a deliberate juxtaposition.
Bash
bittah tardleader
bittah tardleader

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:56 am

And I'd argue that if they were serious they could have devoted more time to what actually appears to have happened to him. His battles with dealing with what happened after the event. Would have been reasonable. Certainly could've trimmed bits out from other areas of the movie.

Like they did in Castaway for example.

Dragging the whole movie out for >2 hours then throwing in some (invented) disposable watered down attempt at heartstring pulling to extend the movie by 10 minutes felt like a bandaid.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Just watched this last night.

I actually really enjoyed it. I liked the attempts to shake the pirates and scare them off, seemed pretty realistic to how it would be. Also enjoyed the camera shots of the two american destroyers (?) and an aircraft carrier (?) all following one little life boat.
I liked the engine room scene too, there was a bit of predictable tension, but I remember saying to my partner "why not just have one of them yell, the guy will turn around and the others hit him from behind" and then 3 seconds later, bam. I was actually impressed
What I didn't like was the tension. There was no tension relief from the time they first pick up the pirates on the radar until the closing scene. I like a high tension movie but this was 2 hours worth and it really needed a few parts where it just slowed for a bit. It's like having a partner tease you on the edge of orgasm, after 30 minutes of that you're not even sure you can finish any more.

On the whole I'd give it a 7.5/10 and would recommend its viewing, I think it was pretty well done and is quite entertaining. I had heard the story prior to watching the movie so I knew it would end in
cunts getting shot by SEALs and the captain getting away ok
therefore I knew the tension up until those set pieces were in place was not ready for release.
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]