bittah.com!~ [Movie] The World's End (2013)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:26 am

[Movie] The World's End (2013)

I saw this a few weeks ago and although I'm no movie buff I felt the need to review it to save others from wasting their cash on going to see it, because for some inexplicable reason IMDB has it with 7.5 out of 10, whilst I left the cinema wanting my £15 back...

Synopsis

Simon Pegg's latest film, in which 5 old school mates reunite some 20 years later to complete an epic pub crawl (18 pubs & 18 pints in one night or some-such) they failed as high school graduates, and in the process find out they are mankind's last hope.

Review

I quite like Simon Pegg. Or at least I used to. Shaun Of The Dead and even Hot Fuzz were reasonably funny/entertaining films, but this film shows he is either trying to cash in or is completely out of original ideas. Probably both.

For a supposed comedy, I only recall smiling about 2-3 times the entire film, and I don't think I actually lol'd once. And in terms of originality...there is none. It's EXACTLY the same formula/plot as SOTD or Hot Fuzz - a sleepy English town is overtaken by sinister forces & he and his fat offsider save the day. This time it's aliens, who are seeking to integrate us violent & unpredictable humans into the galactic community. Anyone who accepts is turned into a type of replicant, who never grows old etc and can capture their "perfect" stage of life indefinitely.

Aside from the countless plot holes with the entire concept (forgivable for something purporting to be a comedy), it is over acted (especially by Pegg), uninspired, unoriginal and barely entertaining, especially when compared to his previous films which follow exactly the same formula but were at least funnier and more original, if only because they came first.

Only watch it on DVD (or rip it) if you loved his previous works as it's definitely not necessary to watch at a cinema. Save your $$$ for other releases out around the same time, like Rush or the most excellent Filth, which I shall review at a later date here.

I give it 1/5.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:13 am

Yea I saw this a while back with my Mrs, largely due to the good reviews it was getting.

Utter rubbish, I would like to join the queue to get my money back.
Carnifex
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 am

Yeah saw this a while ago and wasn't impressed either tbh.

Had a couple of funny moments but was mainly cringeworthy.

Didn't help there was this geeky twat at the end of the row we were on who would snigger like one of the nerds of The Simpsons at the slightlest joke... and he was the only laughing most of the time...
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 am

Was this one of those all the good bits are in the trailer moveis?

Was watching the trailer for Rush (i think that was its name) - the new car racing movie with whatshisface Thor guy. It's supposed to be good incidentally - but the trailer, man, it's like watching the movie in 60 seconds, and comes across as so damned lame. Highly reccomend it! :o
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:18 am

Pretty much.

The story is pretty weak as piss... and it's mostly covered in the trailer...

And Rush looks a lot like Days of Thunder v2.0...
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: [Movie] The World's End (2013)

Rush is actually pretty decent. It is a bit too dramatic (in typical Hollywood fashion) and definitely overplays the rivalry between Hunt & Lauda (they were actually friends irl) but it's very entertaining and 10x the movie Days Of Thunder ever was.

Filth is on a whole other level of awesome.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Rush is actually pretty decent. It is a bit too dramatic (in typical Hollywood fashion) and definitely overplays the rivalry between Hunt & Lauda (they were actually friends irl) but it's very entertaining and 10x the movie Days Of Thunder ever was.
Yeah ive heard it's good, but man, you wouldnt know it by the trailer - it's like Days of Thunder crossed with Downton Abbey

Trailer 1 for your viewing pleasure ;) http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/rush/
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 pm

I watched 3 "end of the world" movies over one weekend; World War Z, This is the End, and The World's End.
I did NOT expect The World's End to be the worst of the three. I hope he does a better job with Ant Man.
Bongoloid
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]