bittah.com!~ [Movie] Gravity (2013)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:10 pm

[Movie] Gravity (2013)

Now. I was a huge skeptic walking into this movie... I thought the trailer looked fucking pants... but a few of us (non NRL lovers) were at a loose end yesterday and checked it out.

Very good popcorn flick. 90 minutes just flew by... the pacing was really well done (for the most part).

Story
- Two astronauts are making upgrades to the Hubble telescope... lol
- Russians shoot down one of their own satellites (for some plot-filling reason)
- Debris starts raining down on the team who must battle their way through (a few cliche) encounters trying to get back to Earth
Spoiler: Show
- Clooney then gets to be the hero with a well trodden "forget me save yourself" schtick before saving Bullock and floating off into space
Pros
- Effects are very well done. The lack of sound. The first -> third -> first person shots. The 3D... actually works quite well...
e.g. Ryan trying to detach the parachute while debris batters the station (in complete silence) was very atmospheric.
- Might add something seeing it in IMAX? I watched it on a regular screen.
- Music nicely complements the action

Cons
- Rather painful "wah my daughter died my life sucks" arc for Ryan... how the fuck did she pass a psych test to get up there in the first place...
- Equally painful "OK my life is awesome acually I'm going to live" arc for Ryan... just felt really forced...
- Ryan opening hatches and nearly being blown out into space... twice... was a bit derp... as was her nearly drowning trying to get out of the pod at the end
- Ending was a bit Hollywood
Would've liked it more if they'd gone down this path tbh:
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/63987795[/vimeo]
Still, 4 KFC buckets out of 5.
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 pm

nice, i had heard good stuff about this too. might make the effort to see it on the big screen.

p.s. the grandfianl was a hella of a game
TOMbombadill
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Movie looks awesome :D they haven't brought out a good space movie in ages. Will watch this.
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:55 pm

how the f**k did she pass a psych test to get up there in the first place...
oh ooooooo. i smell a certain movie!
MetalSutton
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:16 pm

If you want to watch a middle-aged woman breathe heavily for about an hour you should definitely see this movie.
grieves
user

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Gather hard to see much of sandra nipples when she's inside a spacesuit?

So is there a shirt scene like sigourney weaver in aliens?
equinox
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:15 am

She gets out of the suit in her undies yes. No nipples though.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 am

Half Love is just … Lo
Freddy
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:30 am

Now I know why this movie got 4/5 kfc buckets - gkfc in love with Sandra ohhhhhh <3
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:06 am

Disappointing, does she atleast bend over for 5+ seconds? From either viewpoint?

Like seriously she most overpaid long time female actress, really requirement she show some flesh for the molah.
equinox
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:41 am

Re: [Movie] Gravity (2013)

Ugh waaaay too old. At least Halle Berry did it before she peaked.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:30 am

Disappointing, does she atleast bend over for 5+ seconds? From either viewpoint?

Like seriously she most overpaid long time female actress, really requirement she show some flesh for the molah.
Well, she got naked (ish) earlier in her career (NWS)... and no I'm not a massive Bullock naked fan tbh... she's a bit too "girl next door" for me.

If it was Clooney it would've been 5/5.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Very much enjoyed this movie. The characters arcs are easily ignored when being hit with the stunning visuals & cinematography. Even Clooney/Bullock pairing didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would.
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 am

I have not watched this movie yet but am very keen to.
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Gravity had some nicely consistent themes running through it. The heavy-handed return-to-womb shot, the rebirth, the fact that gravity has been a constant enemy for Bullock for a long time (daughter), the evolution symbolism at the end which was wonderfully shot, the figurines of toys and religious symbols, Bullock overcoming language barriers (language in a much broader sense than words or characters) -- a good example being when she has a conversation with someone she can't understand, and yet they manage to talk about kids, dogs, life, giving up, hope, etc.

It's nice to see a gripping film like this play fast and loose with its symbolism. Nothing about Gravity is subtle, and that's a Good Thing. It's all there on the surface for you to read, and Bullock's arc is all the more interesting for it.

I've seen a lot of complaints that the emotional arc and development of Bullock is weak and weighs the film down. That's wrong -- without it, Gravity would just be a tech demo, one that looks good, but one that is disassociated from us. It's like the people who complain about the film saying "the space station's aren't really that close to each other!" -- this is a film about a woman overcoming, or at the very least, coming to terms with the brute force of Nature, of the Universe, and reconciling that with faith, hope, perseverance; with what it means to be human.

It's a movie set in space, but it is far from a science-fiction film.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:36 am

Re: [Movie] Gravity (2013)

You make it sound like a modern 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Hmmm maybe I should go see it.
Iscariot

[ignore]

Post » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 am

I think the similarities to 2001 are only superficial. Gravity is far more focused on Bullock and her emotional development. If 2001 is Dave Bowman flying into the monolith, Gravity is Bullock looking through it, not realising that she is, and changing for it.

If you go in expecting a slow and ponderous film like 2001, one that ruminates on the beginnings of life and our place in the universe, you'll be disappointed. Gravity is much more personal, and though it floats through some similar themes, its more about how they affect Bullock, rather than how they affect us (the audience). 2001 speaks far more to us through the lens of the camera.

The interesting thing is that during Gravity, there are several moments where water splashes onto a fake camera "lens" -- it reminds you that you're watching a movie (as opposed to "being there", and it does so on purpose), and is almost a direct mirror to the glass of Bullock's and Clooney's helmets. Cuaron knows what he's doing, and I'd read it as a subtle way of him choosing to say: This is her story, not yours.

I know everything I've said about Gravity all sounds super fucking wanky, but seriously, it's all right there in open sight. Watch it, and you'll see it.
Monk
bittah

[ignore]