bittah.com!~ [Movie] Elysium (2013)

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Reviews / 

Moderators: Deepjay, Sotha, Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:52 am

[Movie] Elysium (2013)

This will be a short review as I really can't be arsed wasting my time with this.

I thought the movie was terrible.

Story
- Plods along REALLY slowly for the first hour or so
- The rich have fled the Earth to go live on Halo which has machines that cure all diseases
- Will Hunting is a down and out loser from downtown Boston who has big dreams of... oh wait... Max is a down and out loser from Los Angeles who has big dreams of getting to Elysium but has settled into a burnout job in a factory
- *insert plot device*
- Max must become Robocop and do whatever he can to get to Elysium in 5 days
- And save humanity... and help his childhood friend... and her kid...

Music
- Not bad, but found it a little cliche at times (e.g. Beethoven's Pathetique playing in the background when introducing John Carlyle)

Acting
- Below average... especially Sharlto's overacting...

Plot holes / bits that pissed me off
Spoiler: Show
- What exactly did the reboot achieve? Access to universal healthcare? Go live on Elysium? Will this really help? Society fucked the planet in the first place and that mindset hasn't been addressed by the end of the movie at all
- Didn't really give a shit about any of the characters... they were so dry... even Matt Damon's friend who gets killed (after going to great lengths to point out how they were going to be fine etc etc) didn't really bother me
- Millions of STD-ridden plebs needing medical attention? Send in the drones... 1 high ranking citizen shot in the chest? Zero fucks given...
- How was Max's shitty biosuit even close to being a match for Kruger?
- 3 refugee ships (won't someone think of the children) try to get to Elysium? Blow them to hell. 1 dodgy ass ship full of armed plebs later in the film? They'll be fine.
Was literally rolling my eyes at times. 1.5 KFC buckets out of 5 for some of the effects. But story / acting was just awful and a waste of the actor's talents.

Get it on DVD if you must.
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am

Yeah I tend to agree, it was kinda boring and it had a couple of super handy cam moments that actually made me look away from the cinema screen as it was way to much movement.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:01 am

Hmm that's really disappointing.

What did you think of Section 9 out of interest? (or was that sector 9?)

*edit - haha District 9 - whatevs
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 am

Yes very disappointing.

I enjoyed District 9 slightly more, but this was just lazy tbh...

The characters really weren't interesting enough to care about. Whereas in D9 (imo) Sharlto did a much better job. Both in terms of the story he was telling and the acting.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:13 am

if u were to rate d9 how would u rate it?

i say this cause i loved d9 and i am seeing elysium 2nite, not sure i trust u mr chicken nugget :mrgreen:
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:16 am

Well, it's been a while but, above average? 3-3.5? I remember liking it but not being blown away by it either.

But yeah go see it and make up your own mind. I wasn't impressed with this at all...
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:48 am

Still gonna see it. My past experience with bittards and movies show half you guys have bad taste.
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:54 am

Feel free to stick up your own review afterwards then. That's what this forum is for, no personal opinion is wrong.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:00 pm

I love district 9, I would have rated D9 a 9/10. but this movie is not D9 or even close to it in feel, acting or plot.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Feel free to stick up your own review afterwards then. That's what this forum is for, no personal opinion is wrong.
Ya will do.
It's kinda good a lot of people find it bad, it means ill enjoy it! Thanks guys
Matt Damon is a hottie
XU1
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:53 pm

I actually find Matt Damon to be a really good actor in general - i am really surprised if this movie is in fact bad. I'm going to check it for myself.

I have a feeling it'll be like Oblivion. Tom Cruise was actually pretty good in that I have to admit, but overall it was just let down by its plot. VIsually it was pretty amazing.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Matt Damon wasn't to bad in it, but there was some serious overacting from some supporting cast members. I liked oblivion a bunch better personally. I didn't hate Elysium but it wasn't great, the 4 others i saw it with all just went 'meh' as soon as we walked out. I would probably say 5/10.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Would be interested to hear what you thought of the morals of Max.
Kind of a spoiler I guess...

The plot seems to build him up at the start as this Paragon of Hope (for some reason) who is destined for great things, but (in reality) his reasons for going to Elysium are completely self-serving. Only kind of by accident does he end up being the hero...
And don't even get me started on the fucking Hippo bullshit...
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:13 pm

i too liked oblivion alot, but im one fo the lucky few that can watch tome cruize and not see a crazy scientologist.

p.s didnt like d9 either, way to obviously preachy for my tastes
TOMbombadill
unsettled

[ignore]