bittah.com!~ [Movie] Riddick (2013)
Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.
- Recent Topics
- Starsiege: Tribes turns 20 years old today.
- Westworld (HBO)
- My Midair movie / montage - "Don't do it for the views"
- Tribes Ascend Modding
- November 2018 - Tribes 20yr Anniversary
(*cough* Pitch Black *cough*)
- lol? A rather nothing plot...
- Riddick "wakes up" after being betrayed and abandoned by the Necromongers (who he leads after killing their Lord Marshal)
- Lazy flashback sequence ensues where he realises he had gone soft
- Uses the baron conditions to get his edge back
- For no real reason other than he wants to...
- And that's the first 10 minutes... then completely abandons any Necromonger / Elemental arc entirely...
- Hits a beacon which attracts mercs to his location and they fight each other initially... until DUN DUN DUN scary monsters show up to ruin their day
- And that's about all for another hour and a half
- Action can be quite good at times
- Relationship with his pet was alright... but could see where it was going
- Dialogue is fucking TERRIBLE... just indescribably bad... jokes fall flat and dramatic moments carry no real weight as a result
(e.g. Dahl (lesbian) saying "I don't fuck men... well... maybe fuck them up" )
- Effects look really dated
- Actors seem to be on autopilot and don't even really care about the crap they are saying
2 KFC buckets out of 5
As a movie I preferred the first, mainly because Chronicles suffered a bit from the "Aliens 3 lack of guns" problem.How did you like Chronicles of Riddick (ie movie 2) out of interest KFC?
But did like some of the lore it used. Which this one pretty much ignores... bizarrely...
Feels kind of like a reboot but... not...
Agreed. Pitch Black felt like a well constructed, not too ambitious film that knew its limits and did not try and over-reach them. This is why it worked so well. Conversely, Chronicles felt like an over-ambitious film that mimics to a lesser degree a lot of the over-hyped "Blockbuster" films of late such as the latest Fast and the Furious and Pacific Rim, (for example). Such films are long on technological wizardry and short on competent story telling.I feel like it tried too hard to be too "epic", Diesel's acting skills really couldn't hold up in that style of movie, most of the writing and dialogue felt like a bad fanfiction. Pitch Black worked as a small, simple, self-contained story.
The whole him awakening on a planet not knowing what happened deal was a bit lame as it was pretty much a cop-out way of not having to bring anything Necromonger back (which would mean a much bigger budget), where a nice deserty style planet can easily be made to look good in a patch of desert with a few CGI moons thrown in.
Thought the whole dog part was completely pointless IMO.
Also agree that the dialogue was terrible, almost as bad as the sterotypical/cliche merc crews. Thought it was amusing how fast John's went from cool calm collected leader under pressure, to yelling and cussing every two words.
Thing that got me though, was how bad the plot was in parts. Namely:
Then when they discovered Riddick's taken the illuminated xboxes (i like how in your typical sci-fi, something cant be a power module unless it glows) - Johns is all, "The guy hunts in the dark! We'll take him out in the daylight! Lock n load!" then proceeds to go straight into a dark cave to find him, in what would be the perfect killing environment.
Also like how s
The whole thing of the new creatures was just lame. Way to copy the first movie. Also the way they were suddenly (and again conveniently) super aggressive, illustrated how badass they were by making a token kill or two, then when they go outside and are shooting at them, they're like a migrating herd of diplodocus and just running by.
Could also see the limited budget in a few obvious places - particularly those hover bike things, there was a scene or two of them (i think the first one of them setting out) which was like someone sitting in a horse saddle in front of a green screen.
I did like the environment in the rain though i will say. As they were riding out again in the dark, and the badass lightning storm in the background - i did enjoy that. Also like KFC said, there were a few really meaty deaths which saved it a bit.
The thing is with Riddick as a char, he is a bit of a meat-head, but i reckon he can get away with meat-headish one liners and the low voice monologue. But fuck, the rest has to be ok. He can be a good character, but it has to be part of a decent plot, or it's just your typical dumbass sylvester stallone style brand of dumbass character.
Even the plot - two merc groups (or hell even more would be good) converging on an out of the way resupply station, could have been really interesting if the characters had more depth and there were more things going on than the obvious. Hah even the end-