bittah.com!~ Test your car insurance knowledge

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Safe House / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:15 am

Test your car insurance knowledge

three months ago mrs hobb got a new car loan and full comprehensive insurance with suncorp. we already had a couple of grand for a deposit on the car and when asked "How much do you want it insured for? Fixed amount or value of the loan" i said "Just make it the value of the loan. It'll reduce the monthly payments, you're a good driver and if you have a prang then we'll wear the difference. Drive better next time etc etc"

two months ago she was driving along a main road with hobb v2 in the front seat, hobb v3 in the back. a fuckhead startrack courier wasn't looking and thought there was a gap in traffic and gunned it out of a side street straight into the side of the car at around 60kph. side window shattered showering them with glass and the car was spun sideways in front of the truck and pushed down the road. hobb v2 got some nasty cuts down his face from the glass and hobbette got whiplash and some more cuts. hobb v3 was fine and thought the whole things was "aaaawesome!!". cops charged the driver with something to do with dangerous driving and say hobb v2 is lucky to be alive. centre column of the cabin frame took most of the impact. no question about who was at fault.

car gets towed to an assessment place and they write it off because the frame around the cabin was bent and would never be as safe as it was before the crash. "good", i'm shitty that not a single curtain airbag went off. suncorp ring back saying their finance department is chasing it up but we could expect to be fully reimbursed for the loan amount.

me: "Wait, what? Hang on, why is my arrangement with you coming into this? He wrote out car off, his insurance will cover it".
suncorp: "Yes but you only insured the car for the loan amount"
me: "I'm aware of that, but I'm not making a claim here. She did nothing wrong"
suncorp: "Look you only insured the car for the loan amount and that's all you're entitled to" (exasperated tone)
*heated argument ensues*

i ask around at work if that sounds right. nobody believes that is the case. "No, he wrote your car off, his insurance will pay for it". I ring up the finance ombudsman and explain what happened. her response was "Sir I'm not sure what the actual problem is here" &^!%@[email protected]$%

they confirmed that this is how insurance works. so if i'm drunk off my tits and smash into a BMW valued at $50k, but he only insured his car for $5k, then my insurance only has to pay $5k. Sounds back assward to me and out of all the things hobbette and i were "made aware of" during the loan meeting at the bank, this scenario was not one of them. when there's an accident, regardless of fault, you are still making a claim with your insurance company. i rang suncorp up to tell them to go fuck themselves and cancel my home/contents and other car insurance but they're being absolute pricks about it now. they're still taking money out of my account for the loan repayments and insurance because their finance department hasn't settled the loan amount. according to suncorp this normally takes 1 day, but it's been 2-3 weeks and i can't cancel my policy because "a claim is still in effect bro".

still haven't come across a single person outside of insurance or finance ombudsman who was aware this is how it works. i'm sure it's in the fine print next to the human centipede clause :dev:
Nasty Hobbit
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:07 am

Fuck me. Glad your family is alright.

I've never had insurance for my own stuff so nfi. I did prang into a camry last October which needed $9k worth of repairs, but I just paid my excess and that was that, as far as I'm aware my insurer paid the bill (since, you know, that's why you have insurance).
Ragingmoose
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:17 am

Damn nasty prang, glad your family is OK hobb.

After having to deal with insurance companies and the companies who insure them for the last 3 years since earthquakes I can tell you for FACT that insurers are fucking wanker scam artists.
Larno
banhammer
banhammer

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:30 am

Erm that sounds like utter bullshit to me. The other guy should be covering the cost completely with their insurance as they were at fault. As you say, you arent actually making a claim.

Years ago I had an accident where the car in front of me at the lights sped off (as people do at lights), pulled off the side of the road to the left (which made me think they were pulling over - this was in peak hour in Melbourne at a busy intersection), then promptly pulled a hard right. They'd basically sped forward thinking they'd get enough distance between me and them to do a sneaky u-turn. End result was me not being able to avoid hitting their rear quarter with the front right of my car. This was my first decent car - a VN commodore that i had a loan for, and it completely fucked the entire front-end - but was not a write-off.

I called my insurance, AAMI, and they said straight up becuse they were doing a u-turn, they were at fault. When you u-turn, you give way to everyone. An assessor came out, inspected the damage, and the rest was sorted with the other parties insurance.

Of course it didnt cover the whiplash i had or the back problems because of it for the next few years - or the fact i sold my car to scrappers a year later because that initial damage had put the wheels out of alignment so badly that it had all this follow-on damage and yeah - sad story. But AAMI in that instance were everything i'd hope an insurance company would be in an incident like that - took care of having my front end replaced etc.

But your situation.....shitty as.

Regarding airbags - oh boy. I used to work in the motor industry in some capacity, and the crap i had to deal with regarding airbags. People saying they had front end smashes and they didnt go off, and the reason being the angle they were hit - or that airbags are finely tuned to only go off when hit in a specific way. Sure you'd have been understanding of these facts had V2 been killed or seriously hurt eh.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:30 am

Insurance is taken out in case something happens to your shit.

Something happened to your shit. Thats how i've always been told it works.

Why would it being their fault matter, unless you were completely uninsured in which case some automatic 3rd party indemnity shit kicks in, so im told, is a major part of general licensing and registration costs.
philmarcracken
bittah doyen
bittah doyen

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 am

Small claims court for the difference against the driver/startrack?

Edit: Send a letter of demand to the driver/startrack for the full amount. Let them chase it up with their insurance company. Your insurance only seem interested in meeting the minimum your organised with them but i highly doubt that is the maximum you are eligible to get.

Edit mk2: Actually given the car was new before they will argue it has devalued by more than your deposit amount now anyway. If you are entitled to the replacement value then your loan amount may actually be higher than that.
Duff5000
bittah freak
bittah freak

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 am

Had similar in a write off 10 yrs ago

I ended up losing my mind but didn't get the $$

Welcome to being an anti authority lefty
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:59 am

From what i understood it, you insured to protect against things beyond your control - aka the car getting stolen, wrecked by a falling tree, that kind of thing.

If you are at fault in an accident, you pay a whatever its called, then its potentially covered depending on what happened.

If something is not you fault and the fault of another driver, then it comes down to their insurance. Yours should be irrelevant here. Which is why people have such big issues when their car is written off by an uninsured P plater.

Hobbit's situation sounds like utter bullshit to me. I'd be dropping that insurance company quicksmart. Hell, i'd be even calling other insurers like AAMI and asking their opinion on it.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 pm

yup, as soon as the claim is finished i'm switching because they've been nothing but c**ts towards us.
Suncorp is the parent company of insurance company GIO, which is mainly used as a general insurance company representing Suncorp outside Queensland, offering similar products to the Suncorp branded insurance product in Queensland.

Suncorp also owns the AAMI, Apia, Just Car Insurance, Shannons, InsureMyRide, Vero, Terri Scheer, Bingle, CIL, Asteron and Tyndall insurance brands in Australia, and Vero, Asteron, Guardian Trust, Tyndall, Vero Marine, Vero Liability, AA Insurance, SIS, CMV/AXIOM, Mariner, Comprehensive Travel Insurance and Autosure brands in New Zealand.
not going with any of the above, dodgy fuckers. can imagine their faces when a claim involving two of their sub companies appears on their desk. "Hmmm, what's best for Suncorp". c'est la vie

disappointed because after the 2011 floods in brisbane, suncorp did the right thing. every other insurance company said "Oh we only covered you for bathroom floods" or "No that wasn't a flood, that was backflow in the storm drains, totally different". the shit-storm that followed led to some new legislation to prevent that from happening again. but because suncorp honoured their claims (taking a massive hit money-wise) it was the reason i went with them for our home loan.

while we're on the subject, years ago i was signing up for this new direct debit card westpac had launched and towards the end they said "btw do you want this new $1/month accidental death coverage? it's really good". I said "$1? sure". six months later i was dropping off a cheque and the teller said "Oh I see you have westpac accidental death coverage?" then she leaned forward and quietly said "Cancel it". turns out it wasn't a westpac "initiative", it was some other company who had convinced westpac to sign them up. they didn't pay a single claim because they'd written it in such a way that no death was ever accidental, it was always a result of negligence from someone else.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:26 pm

disappointed because after the 2011 floods in brisbane, suncorp did the right thing. every other insurance company said "Oh we only covered you for bathroom floods" or "No that wasn't a flood, that was backflow in the storm drains, totally different".
Heh that's prolly why they're being pricks now - still reeling from the flood claims.
Deepjay

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30 pm

Insurance companies always try this crap

Zurich ended up advising me to get my "cousins to sort the bloke out"

Seriously
whitewhale

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Maybe Startrack are also insured by Suncorp and swindling you is the cheaper option conspiracy
Vishus
calm

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:54 pm

I have no knowledge of insurance but I'm glad the family are ok :)
ColonelBlair

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:26 pm

thx guiz :wink:
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:18 pm

I've had to deal with insurance claims a number of times, most of which were not my fault.

Unfortunately Hobb, you screwed yourself over by electing to only insure it for the value of the loan. That's how this shit works, the insurance policies will only cover the agreed amount, which in your case if the amount of the loan and not the value of the car. I almost always come to an agreed value for my policies nowadays, you could do market value but then the insurance company will just periodically devalue it.

Essentially what you're arguing here is that even though you only insured the vehicle for X% of its value (the loan amount) because you weren't at fault you should be entitled to Y (the real amount). Problem is it doesn't matter who was at fault in this regard, fault only dictates who has to fork out the excess (normally a set costing based on your age, driving experience and total policy amount) to their insurance company to cover everything you've agreed to on your policy.

You would have been better off had they not written it off.
ta|on
calm

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:39 pm

yeah it's a pretty common misconception regarding write-offs. i always thought your insurance amount and excess only came into play when i stuff up, not when someone else stuffs up. "You broke it, you bought it" etc. it certainly wasn't mentioned during the whole signup process. you'd think it would've come up but keeping their cards close to their chest is how these pricks operate.

the loan amount ended up being the market value of the car, but i can't replace it with an equally good one with the market value. couple more paychecks... and yup, next car will be insured for an agreed value.

as for those terms and conditions... TLDR
not as if that would've made a difference, you ever tried to read one?
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Test your car insurance knowledge

So my understanding so far is this (example numbers): car is worth 15k, hobb insurance covers 10k - does that mean startrack pays the excess of 5k? Or is hobb just fucked?
SkymarshallHeff
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:07 pm

nope, suncorp just recovers 10k from startrack as per my "agreement" with them. the other $5k is gone. startracks insurance doesn't have to pay for what their driver destroyed, just for what i insured my car for.

excess has a different meaning in insurance to the household word. it's a fee for making a claim when you're at fault, usually $500 or something. you can adjust it to a higher amount to lower monthly repayments.

oh god you just reminded me of another one...
before the 2nd car, i took hobbette to bunnings for her gardening fix and she figured my car was some sort of tardis. end result was two bales of sugarcane mulch in the front passenger seat of my car and as i pushed the top one in the rear vision mirror snapped out of the windscreen taking a little chunk of glass around the anchor. i rang ford to ask what an replacement was for my car, was about $1k. i rang suncorp and said "ok i need to make a claim, i've not done this before. what's the procedure". she says that i just get it repaired and it'll cost me $500 (the excess fee). i thank her and as i wrap it up she says "WAIT! we have an authorised repairer in your area, do you want me to put you on hold?". a couple of minutes later she says "All sorted, I'm transferring you to windscreens o'brien who want to know what make and model your car is and what time to come out". the next day they show up and as he's installing it i notice something.

hobb: "is this the same kind of windscreen?"
obrien: "No, not exactly the same but it's standards compliant"
hobb: "oh ... how much would this normally cost? including labour"
obrien: "about $350-$400"
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Yeah, you see that shit all the time in regards to insurance work in the construction industry. "Standards compliant" basically means the cheapest steaming pile of shit we can legally get away with that no reputable builder would ever use.
ta|on
calm

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:46 pm

my favourite part was how she kept me on the phone while making the booking with their "authorised" repairer (implying there are limited options, much like health insurance) knowing it was going to cost me an extra $150.

I did ring them to say "WTF was that?" and was told the prices fluctuate and he never should have disclosed how much it cost to me. utter bs, and another mistake I won't be making again.
Nasty Hobbit

[ignore]