bittah.com!~ Beer - Page 2

Tribes 1, Tribes 2 and Midair gaming hub for the Australia and New Zealand communities.
We don't mention vengeance or ascend.

bittah:// Community / Safe House / 

Moderator: Super Moderators

Discord

Online now
  • Recent Topics
1 2 3 4 5

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:30 am

Also this stuff I'll buy when I can find it
Tobias
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:39 am

went through a Wheat Beer phase end of last year and it hasn't done my waistline any favors.
That's what I am going through plus the odd trappist beer thrown in. :|

I can't recall seeing Knappstein at the local, warehouse sized, Dan Murphy's. :? Is availability state dependant?

Edit: Beez neez is ok.
Freddy
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:40 am

I got one of those Grand Ridge Brewery packs for christmas.....only had a couple; the Stout - which was fucking terrible! And the Natural Blonde, a wheat beer that i thought was absolutely brilliant. Though, after Rougey's post....maybe i'll steer clear of it (not that drinking cases of Old is any better...)
aristo-
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:46 am

Beer isn't to blame, beer and lack of exercise plus poor diet for the period is.

Tonight I'm hitting up a place in St Leonards Sydney called the Bazzar Beer cafe, probably my favorite place for a feed and a drink (even though I haven't been there since a break up last year). They have this really interesting apple beer - not a cider, an apple beer.

Floris Apple Beer

It's not something I'd drink frequently, but it goes down well with pork - like your apple sauce.
Rougey
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

went through a Wheat Beer phase end of last year and it hasn't done my waistline any favors.
That's what I am going through plus the odd trappist beer thrown in. :|

I can't recall seeing Knappstein at the local, warehouse sized, Dan Murphy's. :? Is availability state dependant?

Edit: Beez neez is ok.
Where do you live?

I've seen it in Melbourne (IGA) and Sydney (Dan Murphys) so not sure...
KFC
bittah, jaded, anti social freak

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Kirin is good if you get stuff bottled in Japan. The locally brewed stuff is pretty average.
KFC

[ignore]

Post » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:29 pm

Greater Geelong.

Will double check Dan’s stock as well as other bottle shops’

Edit: nvm, found it
Freddy
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:58 am

Asking for design assistance. I am gunna make a home brew that is to be the UAE local drop. I need someone with more ability beyond my paint skills to throw something together. My 'brand' will be NFM (not for Muslim like what is on the door to the pork section in the supermarket) and the image is a cartoon pig (like porky pig) winking and holding up a beer. Gogogo
Plazbot

[ignore]

Post » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:02 pm

Just beginning to grasp how many imported beers are selling under the imported banner and price tag despite the fact that they are brewed locally. Many fail to capture the essence of the original, yet breweries attempt to justify brewing them locally for the sake of freshness.

Here is an opinionarticle I goobled.

Just...sadness (imo)
Freddy
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:36 pm

Cloudy brew for the win.
Not finely filtered meaning more "goodness" left in - you can apply this to any fermented beverage, ala apple cider vinegar, tea (kombucha), ginger beer etc

You really can't go past German beer since they have such strict guidelines. Although as stated above, many mainstream beers arent really imported and are brewed locally.

Knappstein is fooking great! Probably one of the best drops ever with a meal.
ImPaLoR
PLEASE EXPLAIN!
PLEASE EXPLAIN!

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Any recommended German/Belgium beers to specifically taste whilst travelling in the respective countries?
Sotha
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:52 pm

During the walking tour of Munich we were given a run down on the history of the city and how much an important Bier is in the history of it. We had a few Aussies in our group, and at one point the tour person gave us some rundown of stats of what happens each year during Oktoberfest. The turnout is always big, but apparently 2012 was the biggest most insane year. She took an interest in the Aussies when she started this piece. Apparently some shocking numbers come out after each one, with regards to Missing children. etc. From a website:

"More Lost Children
A total of 60 oxen and 26 calves have been devoured, and the sale of fried chicken portions is up five percent. The number of children lost and handed over to staff also rose significantly, to 93 from 56. By Saturday evening, a total of 2,600 lost items had been handed in, including a French horn, a hearing aid, two wedding rings, a pair of suit trousers and two pairs of Lederhosen."

And it turns out a large majority of those missing items were passports, specifically, Australian passports. So she had to congratulate you Aussies for your commitment to traveling across the world for the event, and inadvertently getting so shit-face drunk, that most of you couldn't return home.

Congrats guys!

Anyways...

This is quite nice (Ellwangen)

And we drunk enough HB (Hofbräu) to last a lifetime. Make sure you go to Hofbräuhaus, the most famous Beer hall in Munich. Definitely recommend!

Below is just the garten, but we should have spent more time inside with the OOMPAH!

To the right is a kids carousel at a theme-park. This was the adult version, an ever so slowly rotating bar. Hard to keep an eye on the kiddies when you have to keep walking around the bar to keep an eye on them as you get hammered.
MetalSutton
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:23 pm

Any recommended German/Belgium beers to specifically taste whilst travelling in the respective countries?
in germany just walk into any bar and ask for a Pils (blond, bitter) or Alt (dark bier from the Dusseldorf region - if you actually go to Dusseldorf there is a street full of bars serving it, yum).

In belgium avoid affligem, owned by heineken, but the rest would be OK. Love a Leffe myself, or go the abbey biers, can't go wrong with Chimay for ex - but bottles only.

Edit: after a few pints the carousel would have made me puke :D
bulgroz
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:17 pm

I've actually been contemplating a beer themed tour of Europe that would coincide with Oktoberfest. The tour should cover: Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Munich, and Czech republic.

My main stops in Belgium would be by the Trappist monasteries/breweries like Chimay and/or Duval; beside the non-Trappist breweries

Also, in Germany don't forget to get into some fresh Weissbier (I personally like the unfiltered hefeweizen). Paulaner is good, so is Hofbräu, among others.

Btw, if in melbourne with friends, try the local Hofbrauhaus.
Freddy
unsettled

[ignore]

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Btw, if in melbourne with friends, try the local Hofbrauhaus.
happy hour 4-6 fridays. :D

They changed the beers a few months back and I am not convinced by the new brand, wouldn't pay $15 for a pint - Paulaner is OK, HB if you like that too (too "thin" for me) - so happy hour only for me. Nice food though.
bulgroz
bittah

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 am

Nice food though.
OMG do they serve those potato dumpling things? They are GLORIOUS!
MetalSutton
annoyed

[ignore]

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:55 pm

Inside Hofbrauhaus with the Oompah is cool and all but fuck it's loud. Just outside is nice.

Just go to the Beer Gardens. Hofbrauhaus in Munich is good, but just up from Hauptbahnhof (opposite direction to Hofbrau) is the Augustiner Beer garden which is less touristy. Hire a bike and ride through the English Gardens, and stop at the Chinese beer garden in the middle. I didn't particularly pay attention to the different beers I had at each place, normally they were all great and a lot of places had their own specials. Franziskaner was always my favourite since trying it for the first time in 2008.
SoulFire
corporal bittah
corporal bittah

[ignore]

Post » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:33 am

English gardens are good + the river surfers! :)

http://i.imgur.com/kE1sDsn.jpg
That's an Oompah up there.
MetalSutton
annoyed

[ignore]